Knowing how to speak more than one language can be a true boon to your education and professional life. It expands your horizons considerably and allows to communicate with so many more people than you would otherwise. As an ESL (English as a second language) student, you can make a huge splash in American colleges and universities. Here are five reasons why ESL students can thrive in US universities.
1. International relationsA key aspect of education is well-roundedness. In order to get the most out of a college education, a student must be willing to take chances and communicate with as many groups of people as possible. An international relations masters online can be a great help to ESL students. They can learn all about diplomacy, politics, and human rights and how they affect our world.
2. Cultural perspectivesIf English is not your first language, it's likely that you were raised in a culture unlike the one in America. By coming to a US college with English as your second language, you can give American students a new perspective on other cultures and how they differ from their own.
3. AssimilationSpeaking the same language as citizens of another nation is a great way to become assimilated into that culture. As an ESL student, you can communicate with American students who speak English as their first language and find yourself more drawn into their culture. You can also share your own culture with them.
4. Bring others togetherAs an ESL student, you can be something of a bridge between cultures. You're likely to know people who speak English as their first language and those who don't speak English at all. You can help them communicate by acting as a bridge for communication between the two. You can also help them learn each other's language.
5. Teach othersWhen you get a good grasp on English, you might want to share it with others. Tutoring for non-English speaking students to understand the language could put you in high demand around campus. You could very well start a network of ESL students teaching other ESL students.
We hope this gave you a good understanding of how ESL students can thrive in US colleges. By mastering another language, you can make a profound impact on your education. You can also make a huge difference in the lives of others along the way, one word at a time.
Meghan Belnap is a freelance writer who enjoys spending time with her family. She loves being in the outdoors and exploring new opportunities whenever they arise. Meghan finds happiness in researching new topics that help to expand her horizons. You can often find her buried in a good book or out looking for an adventure. You can connect with her on Facebook right here and Twitter right here.